Protect yourself from mosquitoesit is not at all easy, especially when new alien species are lurking. Here are all the tips for prevention and forstick up forthe garden and the house from mosquitoes.
Types of mosquitoes in Italy
In Italy there are different types of mosquitoes:
- The common mosquito,Culex pipiens
- The tiger mosquito, Aedes albopictus
- The Korean mosquito,Aedes koreicus
- The Japanese mosquito,Aedes japonicus
Speaking of mosquitoes: with the passage of time, things in Italy have evolved a lot. Once, even here, there was the malaria mosquito (Anopheles Meigen) but thanks to the reclamation of the early 1900s, our country has definitively freed itself from unwelcome guests. Today, however, we have to deal with three very ferocious Asian species, the tiger mosquito, present since the early 1990s, the Korean and Japanese mosquitoes, all three of the Aedes genus.
The much hated tiger mosquito is much less invasive than the two Korean and Japanese "cousins". The Japanese mosquito was reported in 2015 while, for now, the Korean mosquito is present only in the regions of Northern Italy but without a capillary action, it will soon spread throughout the peninsula.
Mosquitoes and eggs
The local mosquito, that is theCulex pipiens, is described as a "pond mosquito" as it lays its eggs on the surface of the water, forming a floating island in "dirty" water rich in organic matter.
The tiger mosquito, as well as other oriental species, hide and lay eggs wherever there is still water. They are perfectly suited to exploit all the possibilities provided by an anthropic environment. Thus, if the common mosquito (Culex pipiens) reproduces with difficulty in urban environments, the tiger mosquito, the Korean and the Japanese, can adapt everywhere.
Eliminate mosquitoes with prevention
Knowing this information will help youeradicate mosquitoesand to prevent their multiplication in your gardens or on the balcony of your home.
Mosquitoes hide and lay eggs wherever there is water, check constantly:
- drains of the downspouts
- drains of the sewers
- collection tanks
- garden buckets
- unused watering cans
- car tires
- children's toys
- vessels with water stagnation
Check any container or object that may contain a temporary water collection. Make sure everything is perfectly dry.
Do not worry about the dog or cat bowl, constantly emptying it, eggs and larvae here will not have time to develop.
How to protect yourself from mosquitoes
Remedies to eliminate mosquitoes and effective strategies to prevent infestations in the garden and in the home. For other tips:how to defend yourself from mosquitoes.
Prevention is everything! It allows you to eliminate the problem upstreammosquitoesmitigating or preventing the formation of outbreaks of infestation. These good practices must be carried out since winter. Unfortunately, oriental mosquitoes (Japanese and Korean) lay eggs resistant to cold, even at temperatures below 5 ° C. For this reason, in view of spring, it is recommended to take action.
The good habits that we will list below will have to be maintained until mid-autumn, when the temperatures will be such as to prevent the reproduction of even the most resistant mosquitoes.
- Always keep watering cans, buckets and buckets upside down.
- After irrigating the plants, get into the habit of eliminating excess water after half an hour. This practice is not necessary when the plants are exposed in full sun but only for plants in shade or partial shade.
- Eliminate braziers without drainage points, animal bowls no longer used, toys capable of collecting water ...
- Close (with putty) the holes in the walls and flooring. Even in these places, water and humidity can be collected so as to become the perfect den for mosquitoes.
- Bins and water deposits must be covered with a mosquito net.
- If you have a garden pond, introduce fish that feed on mosquito larvae such as crucian carp.
- If you have wood or other material covered with a tarpaulin, stretch it perfectly because stagnant water tends to accumulate in the folds where the mosquitoes will organize a neighborhood to generate rich in eggs (in a month, a single tiger mosquito can lay 400 eggs).
- Create the perfect habitat to attract bats to the garden.
How to get rid of mosquitoes
In case of infestation already in progress you can read the article "Mosquito bottle"where I explain how to build mosquito traps and how to use a great natural insecticide for eliminate mosquitoes from the garden.
The insecticide in question is pyrethrum, but I recommend applying it in the evening time slots, when temperatures are lower and there is no sun. In fact, pyrethrum, being a natural extract, tends to deactivate itself with the sun because its active ingredient is photosensitive. Pyrethrum, before being an insecticide, is a plant, therefore, this natural insecticide naturally degrades within a couple of days.
How to use? You can buy the ready-to-use spray or concentrated spray form (cheaper). Generally, it is necessary to dilute 14-25 ml of product in 10 liters of water in order to have a greater yield and more convenience in large-scale treatments.
The price is 16.81 euros with shipping costs included and, again, for all the information, I refer you to the product sheet: Bayer Pyrethrum actigreen (Bio).
Before buying it and continuing to use it, I also recommend that you read the article dedicated to DIY mosquito repellent bottles in order to have a better overview of the use of these natural remedies.
If you liked this article you can follow me on Twitter, add me on Facebook, among the circles of G + or see my shots on Instagram, le vie dei social they are infinite! :)